Peony care after your peonies arrive
Our peonies are harvested at the mature bud stage. When your flowers arrive, they will be thirsty. Protect them from excessive heat, and follow the instructions below:
- Upon arrival, immediately remove the stems from the box.
- Prepare containers with cold water so they will quickly hydrate. Use the floral preservative included with your order, or one of your own choosing. This will prolong the vase life of your flowers.
- Trim the stems at an angle, and remove foliage that will be beneath the water.
- The size of most of our blooms will surprise you, so make sure there are not too many buds in each container to allow room for them to fully open.
- Carefully monitor your peonies, because they drink a lot of water. Fill containers with fresh water as needed. Water should be changed every two to three days. Re-cutting the stems at the same time will prolong vase life.
- DO NOT store flowers with vegetables and fruits, because the off gassing of ethylene will decrease peony vase life.
Decide whether you want your peonies to open slowly or quickly
- To open your buds slowly: place the containers with the flowers, immediately in the cooler.
- To open your buds quickly: remove flowers from refrigeration and monitor closely. Once your flowers are open, place them in the cooler until you are ready to use them.
- [Florist Tip] To hasten opening: gently tap the base of the bud on the green sepal petals on a hard surface. Continue to rotate until you’ve gone around the bud. This will loosen the inner petals. Remove the sepals.
What to do if you have damaged peonies
Should your peonies arrive in a damaged condition, please contact us within 24 hours of receiving your order at email@example.com. For faster service, please include:
- Subject Line: Your order # - Damage Order
- Body: Description of the problem, and photos of damage.